David Appel’s over three decades of expertise in the defense industry, as well as the digital transformation for government and private clients, have made him a respected veteran in both fields. Learn more about David Appel’s journey to becoming the Amazon Web Services Vice President For National Security!
Meet David Appel
David Appel is a well-known executive leader in the defense industry. Appel was a member of Raytheon’s leadership as its military and Civil Solutions president before being promoted to his current position as vice president of national security of Amazon Web Services.
Defense Systems Company (DSC) is a division of Raytheon Intelligence & Space that develops and implements programs to address the needs of the federal government, local governments, foreign governments, and the Department of Defense.
He oversaw all of the division’s efforts to implement technological progress. His direction integrated artificial intelligence, machine learning, automation, and other forms of commercial technology into Raytheon Intelligence & Space’s solutions and services.
Appel has an extensive educational background that includes the following:
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting – Penn State University (1988-1992)
- Masters of Business Administration in Logistics and Operations Management – The George Washington University School of Business (1993-1998)
- Certificate in Advanced Management Program and Chief Information Officer – National Defense University – Information Resources Management College (2003)
- Certificate in Senior Executive Fellows – Harvard Kennedy School (2012)
David Appel as AWS’ Vice President of National Security
David Appel, formerly of Raytheon, is now Amazon Web Services (AWS) Vice President of National Security, beginning in June 2022. Appel will oversee AWS’s national security team, providing government organizations with cloud computing infrastructure.
AWS’s Vice President David Appel leads the company’s national security division and coordinates with government and military officials. He oversees various government projects involving Amazon Web Services machine learning capabilities, cloud computing, the internet of things (IoT), and other cutting-edge technologies.
David Appel Leadership History
With over two decades of experience, Appel serves private, commercial, and government clients in the defense industry. Let’s take a look at the timeline of David Appel’s career.
Amazon Web Services
- Vice President, Vice President of National Security (June 2022 – Present)
Raytheon Intelligence & Space
- Vice President (April 2020 – June 2022)
- Vice President of C2 Solutions (July 2019 – April 2020)
- Senior Director of Mission Support and Modernization for Mission Systems (January 2017 – June 2019)
- Senior Director of Mission Support and Modernization for Global Mission Operations (2014 – December 2016)
- Senior Director of Mission Support Solutions for Defense and Federal (March 2014 – September 2014)
- Senior Director of Mission Support Solutions for Defense, from (September 2013 – March 2014)
- Senior Director of Surveillance, Range, and Infrastructure Solutions (April 2012 – August 2013)
- Senior Director of Operations, Training, and Logistics (April 2011 – May 2012)
- Director of UK Government and Defense Training (2006 – March 2011)
- Staff Executive (November 2004 – November 2006)
- Program Manager (2000 – November 2004)
- Functional Specialist and Manager (May 1994 – 2000)
About Amazon Web Services
Image from Amazon Web Services LinkedIn
Amazon Web Services, Inc. is an Amazon subsidiary that offers metered, pay-as-you-go cloud computing platforms and application programming interfaces (APIs). Customers, including individual users, businesses, and government agencies, frequently pair this feature with autoscaling.
Regarding data centers, AWS has you covered with options in as many as 190 different countries. Various public, private, educational, and charitable organizations use AWS services.