Photo by JHVEPhoto from Shutterstock.com
Centene Corporation is a health insurance plans and solutions provider that provides government-sponsored and privately insured healthcare programs in all 50 states. The company’s mission is to allow everyone access to high-quality and affordable health by expanding its services through its subsidiaries. Here’s a list of Centene Corporation government contracts.
1. California Department of Health Care Services Awarded a Contract to Serve Medi-Cal Members
Photo by Matthew Corley from Shutterstock.com
- Subsidiary: Health Net of California
- Year: 2023
- Contracting activity: California Department of Health Care Services
IIn January 2023, Centene Corporation’s subsidiary, Health Net of California, won a direct contract from the California Department of Health Care Services to support Medi-Cal, California, a Medicaid-managed healthcare program.
Under the contract, Health Net will serve Medi-Cal members in 10 counties across the state, including Los Angeles, Amador, Calaveras, Tuolumne, Inyo, Mono, Stanislaus, Tulare, Sacramento, and San Joaquin. In Los Angeles county, Health Net was reported to have Molina Healthcare as its subcontractor, with 50% of the membership. The contract will commence in January 2024.
2. Kansas Department of Corrections Awarded a Contract for Comprehensive Health Services at Kansas Facilities
Image from kansasreflector Website
- Subsidiary: Centurion
- Year: 2020
- Amount: $554 million
- Contracting activity: Kansas Department Of Corrections
- Contract duration: 6 years (Two years base period with two, two-year renewal options)
In April 2020, Centene Corporation’s subsidiary, Centurion, received a $554 ceiling contract award from the Kansas Department of Corrections. Under the comprehensive health services contract, Centurion delivered dental, behavioral health, medical, and other support services to offenders in nine correctional facilities in Kansas. The performance period’s start date was July 2020.
This contract award created the opportunity for Centurion to showcase its advanced technology, staffing, and managed care solutions in serving correctional partners amidst the pandemic. Centurion is a national provider of healthcare and behavioral health services helping correctional partners maintain healthcare services through advanced healthcare technology.
3. Texas Health and Human Services Commission Awarded a Foster Care Contract
CBP Photo by Ashley Landis / Staff Photographer on dallasnews.com
- Subsidiary: Superior HealthPlan
- Year: 2022
- Contracting activity: Texas Health and Human Services Commission
- Contract duration: 6 years
In September 2022, Texas Health and Human Services Commission contracted Centene Corporation’s subsidiary, Superior HealthPlan. Under the STAR Health Medicaid program, Superior will continue providing healthcare coverage to children in foster care. Superior has been the only provider of statewide Medicaid coverage, STAR Health, since 2008,
Superior has ensured that vulnerable youth receive access to holistic and quality healthcare by implementing several programs. These are the Health Passport tool, the Turning Point Program, and the Foster Care Center of Excellence program.
4. Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services Awarded Medicaid Managed Care Program and Youth In Care Contracts
Image from healthyschoolscampaign Website
- Subsidiary: IlliniCare Health
- Year: 2017
- Contracting activity: Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services
- Contract duration: 8 years (Four years base period with four years of renewal options)
In August 2017, Centene Corporation’s subsidiary, IlliniCare Health, was selected for the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services’ Medicaid Managed Care Program and Youth in Care contracts. IlliniCare Health was responsible for helping children in need. The performance period started in January 2018.
IlliniCare Health rebranded as Aetna Better Health of Illinois. Centene Corporation sold the subsidiary to CVS Health in December 2019 as a part of the pending $17.43 billion merger with Wellcare Health Plans.
5. Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services Awarded a Statewide Medicaid-Managed Care Contract
Image from unl.edu Website
- Subsidiary: Nebraska Total Care
- Year: 2022
- Contracting activity: Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
- Contract duration: 7 years (Five-year base period with an option for two, one-year renewals)
In September 2022, Centene Corporation’s subsidiary, Nebraska Total Care, received a statewide Medicaid managed care contract from the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. The agreement requires Nebraska Total Health to continue serving the Heritage Health Program in the state.
This program combined Nebraska Medicaid’ behavioral and physical health and pharmacy programs into a coordinated and comprehensive program to serve the state’s Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) enrollees.
6. Florida Agency for Health Care Administration Awarded Statewide Medicaid Managed Care Program
Photo by imtmphoto from Shutterstock.com
- Subsidiary: Sunshine Health several international markets commercial organizations government businesses
- Year: 2018
- Contracting activity: Florida Agency for Health Care Administration
- Contract duration: 5 years
In May 2018, Centene Corporation’s Florida-based subsidiary, Sunshine Health, received a contract from Florida Agency for Health Care Administration. It will continue providing behavioral and physical healthcare services through Florida’s Statewide Medicaid Managed Care (SMMC) Program, serving more than 3.2 million healthcare beneficiaries. The performance period was projected to end by September 2023.
With this award, Sunshine Health remains the sole provider for Florida’s sole Child Welfare Specialty Plan in all 11 regions while increasing the geographic area in which Sunshine Health may provide comprehensive (MMA and LTC) managed care.
7. Mississippi Division of Medicaid Awarded Medicaid Contract for the Coordinated Care Organization Program
Photo by Ground Picture from Shutterstock.com
- Subsidiary: Magnolia Health Plan
- Year: 2022
- Contracting activity: Mississippi Division of Medicaid
- Contract duration: 6 years (Four-year base period and two one-year renewals)
In August 2022, Centene Corporation’s Mississippi-based subsidiary, Magnolia Health Plan, won a contract award from the Mississippi Division of Medicaid. Magnolia Health Plan is responsible for the continued service to the state’s Coordinated Care Organization Program, composed of the Mississippi Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and the Mississippi Coordinated Access Network (MSCAN).
Brent Layton, Centene’s President and Chief Operating Officer, expressed his delight at this opportunity of being Mississippi’s partner toward building a healthier state. To date, Magnolia Health Plan has over 150,000 Medicaid enrollees and partners with 30,850 healthcare providers statewide.
Who Are the Centene Leaders and Executives?
Here is a list of Centene Corporation’s leadership team:
- Sarah London, Chief Executive Officer
- Mark Brooks, Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer
- Drew Asher, Chief Financial Officer
- Shannon Bagley, EVP and Chief Administrative Officer
- Robert Sanders, Executive Vice President of Global Human Resources
About Centene Corporation
Centene Corporation is a diversified healthcare enterprise established in 1984 as a nonprofit Medicaid plan. It continues to expand its plan offerings and strengthen its presence in the market through the Affordable Care Act insurance changes and completed and future acquisitions. As of 2021, it has branched into over 400 new continues across 13 states.