Photo of Jen Sovada at LinkedIn
Jen Sovada is Sandbox AQ’s President of Public Sector. She has built an extensive portfolio in government and commercial defense industries, specializing in cybersecurity, national security, AI, and quantum technology. Get to know Jen Sovada, Sandbox AQ’s current President of Public Sector.
Who is Jen Sovada?
Jen Sovada is a retired colonel of the U.S. Air Force. As one of the few women with expertise in quantum computers, post-quantum cryptography, and other quantum capabilities, she has become a prominent figure in the quantum technology space. She shares her knowledge as an educator in quantum technology at various universities.
Sovada has an impressive educational background, studying different fields to build her expertise in quantum technology. Here’s a list of her academic accomplishments.
- BS in Behavioral Sciences (Human Factors Engineering) from the United States Air Force Academy (1990-1994)
- MA in Pedagogy (Physical Education) from the University of Northern Colorado (1994-1995)
- MS in Strategic Intelligence from the National Intelligence University (1998-1999)
- MA in National Security and Strategic Studies from the U.S. Naval War College (2007-2008)
- MA in Strategic Studies from The United States Army War College (2012-2013)
- Certificate of Specialization in Design Thinking and Innovation from the University of Virginia Darden School of Business (2017)
- Stanford Ignite for Entrepreneurship and Innovation from Stanford University Graduate School of Business (2017)
On top of her excellent educational background, Sovada has also completed various programs to hone her skills in artificial intelligence and quantum technology. Take a look at the list of her qualifications and certificates.
- Amazon Web Services Cloud Practitioner from Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) from Scrum Alliance
- Innovation and Design Thinking from UVA Darden Executive Education & Lifelong Learning
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation from Stanford University Graduate School of Business
- Certified Wrong Thinker from Solve Next
- Certification in Design Thinking from Tombolo Institute at Bellevue College
- Introduction to Quantum Computing from MIT xPRO
- Quantum Computing Fundamentals from MIT xPRO
- Quantum Algorithms for Cybersecurity, Chemistry and Optimization from MIT xPRO
- Finance and Accounting for the Nonfinancial Executive from Stanford University Graduate School of Business
What are the duties and responsibilities of Jen Sovada as the President of Public Sector at Sandbox AQ?
Jen Sovada has been the President of Public Sector at SandboxAQ since January 2022. One of her primary responsibilities is to help the federal government utilize artificial intelligence and quantum technology (AQ) solutions. She also heads partnerships with companies such as Google Cloud, Azure, and Deloitte.
Under Sovada’s leadership, the Public Sector works with government agencies to secure sensitive data, apply quantum capabilities, and make the world safer through the power of AQ. Furthermore, Sovada’s military experience has helped her provide customized AQ solutions to federal agencies.
What are the previous roles of Jen Sovada?
Jen Sovada has nearly three decades of experience working with the largest defense technology companies and federal agencies. For most of her career, she served in the United States Air Force, where she gained experience in different defense-related industries, and eventually retired as a colonel.
Here are relevant roles Sovada held when she was active in service for the U.S. Air Force.
- Collection Manager of the Joint Analysis Center (1996-1998)
- Test Manager of the Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center (1999-2002)
- Chief of the Commander’s Action Group of the Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center (2002-2003)
- Intelligence Systems Flight Commander of the 607th Air Intelligence Squadron (2003-2004)
- Branch Chief for Force Modernization Air Combat Command of the Directorate for Intelligence (2004-2006)
- Director of Operations of the Air Combat Command Intelligence Squadron (2006-2007)
For a brief period of two years between 2008-2010, Sovada joined The Joint Staff as the Interoperability Team Chief for the Directorate for Intelligence. Afterward, she returned to the U.S. Air Force, where she served for over eight years and held increasing responsibilities.
- Commander of 22nd Intelligence Squadron (2010-2012)
- Chief of Staff of the Air Force Fellow in the U.S. Army Strategic Studies Group (2013-2014)
- Deputy Director of Defense Sensitive Support Office (2014-2015)
- Commander for Air Force Technical Applications Center (2015-2016)
- Special Assistant for the Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (2016-2018)
- Head of Talent Management of the Air Force ISR (2018-2019)
After leaving the Armed Forces, Sovada has ventured into founding new AQ-focused companies, serving in executive leadership, joining the board of directors, and sharing her knowledge of quantum capabilities.
- Leadership Arlington Cohort Member at Leadership Center for Excellence (2019-2020)
- Chief Futures Officer and Senior Vice President/ General Manager at MissionTech Solutions (2019-2020)
- Senior Vice President at MissionTech Solutions (2020-2021)
- Head of Federal Teams of the AI Unit at X, the moonshot factory (2021)
- Head of Federal Teams of Sandbox@Alphabet at Alphabet Inc. (2021)
- Adjunct Instructor and Consultant at Integrity ISR (2019-2022)
- DEFx Director and Director of Senior Leader Engagement at Defense Entrepreneurs Forum (2017-2018)
- Director of External Engagement at Defense Entrepreneurs Forum (2018-2019)
- Director of Washington DC Agora at Defense Entrepreneurs Forum (2018-2021)
- Member of the Board Of Directors at Defense Entrepreneurs Forum (2020-2021)
- Chair Of The Board Of Directors at Defense Entrepreneurs Forum (2021-Present)
- Founder and Chief Executive Officer at Boadicea Solutions LLC (2020-Present)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor at Georgetown University (2023-Present)
- President of Public Sector at SandboxAQ (2022-Present)
What are the affiliations and volunteering experiences of Jen Sovada?
As a renowned executive in the quantum technology space, Jen Sovada has affiliations in multiple organizations and associations. She’s also involved in different volunteering efforts and initiatives. Here’s a list of Sovada’s affiliations and volunteering experiences.
- Vice President of Outreach and Community Involvement at Patrick Henry Elementary School Parent Teacher Association (2017-2019)
- Military Mentor at Georgetown for Hacking for Defense (2017-2019)
- Community Mentor for Specialization in Design Thinking and Innovation Program at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business (2017-2019)
- Primary Mentor at FedTech (2018-2019)
- EMentor at eMentor Leadership Program (2008-2022)
- Advisory Team at Amazing Women of the Intelligence Community (2018-2021)
- Member of the Board of Advisors at Tombolo Institute at Bellevue College Design Thinking Program (2020-Present)
- Advisory Board Member at Cyber Security Forum Initiative (2019-Present)
- Vice Chair Acquisition Management Council at Intelligence and National Security Alliance (2016-Present)
- Advisor at MissionLink Next (2021-Present)
- Board Member and NIU-Alumni Association at National Intelligence University Foundation (2020-Present)
- Member of the Board of Directors at Intelligence and National Security Alliance (2023-Present)
About Sandbox AQ
Photo from SandBox AQ Official Website
SandboxAQ is an enterprise SaaS company helping society, the public sector, and other enterprises utilize AI+Quantum technology (AQ). The company offers comprehensive software and hardware solutions across various industries, including small business innovation research centers, large-scale businesses, and the federal government.
Founded in 2021 in Silicon Valley, California, SandboxAQ is headed by Jack Hidary as the Chief Executive Officer and Eric Schmidt as the Chairman of the Board of Directors. The company primarily serves the public sector, which Jen Sovada, Sandbox AQ’s President of Public Sector, commands.