Dr. Alvaro Velasquez is the Program Manager at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). Read on and learn more about his duties and responsibilities as a defense official.
Get to know Dr. Alvaro Velasquez
Dr. Alvaro Velasquez is the Program Manager at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Mr. Velasquez joined the DARPA as a Program Manager in 2022 from the Air Force Research Laboratory (ARFL). In his current role, he is studying formal language theory and machine learning, which could be helpful for further sequential decision-making.
Alvaro has released more than 50 research studies that encompass different fields. It includes work in logic and circuit design, artificial intelligence, and combinatorial optimization.
- Associate of Arts at Palm Beach State College (2010-2012)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science at the University of Central Florida (2012-2014)
- Master’s degree in Computer Science at the University of Central Florida (2014-2016)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Cn Computer Science at the University of Central Florida (2014-2018)
Career and Leadership Timeline
- 2012-2014: Software Engineer Intern at the DiSTI Corporation
- 2014: Research Intern at Air Force Research Laboratory and Research Consultant at Griffiss Institute
- 2014-2015: Graduate Research Assistant at University of Central Florida
- 2015-2017: Research Intern at Air Force Research Laboratory
- 2015-2018: Research Fellow at National Science Foundation (NSF)
- 2018-2022: Technical Lead at Air Force Research Laboratory
- 2020-2021: Visiting Scientist at the University of Central Florida
- 2021: Visiting Scientist at the University of Colorado
- 2022: Visiting Professor at the University of Colorado
- 2022-Present: Program Manager at Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
Alvaro Velasquez: Priorities and Contributions
Dr. Velasquez’s contribution to the industry is undeniable, especially when he was a part of AFRL before joining DARPA. He oversaw the investments in machine intelligence for the Air Force Research Laboratory’s Information Directorate. As part of this initiative, Alvaro handled the Air Force’s research into autonomous systems and artificial intelligence and suggested new directions for the service’s technological development.
Currently, he actively serves in the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. In a recent ExecutiveGov article, Dr. Velasquez shared his insights about the possible drawbacks of AI in the country’s defense systems. He also expanded on how DARPA works on potential risks of Generative AI tools.
About Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, widely known as DARPA, is an R&D agency in the United States. The government entity is under the Department of Defense and is primarily responsible for emerging and developing technologies for military use.
The company’s objective has been to invest critically in innovative technologies that enhance national security for over six decades. DARPA was founded on February 7, 1958, and is currently headquartered in Ballston in Arlington County, Virginia.